I’ve had the past week off work and have enjoyed passing the time (among other things) working on the Maluka shawl.
While I am super excited to see how it turns out a part of me is worrying that I won’t have enough yarn to finish. Unfortunately, I don’t even have a clue as to how much I might be off yarn length wise because the Maluka pattern doesn’t have a gauge indicated. To make things more complicated I also chose to knit it up in fingering 3 ply instead of fingering 4 ply, hmmm. While I like how it is looking I am wondering if I am knitting it too tight on size 3.5 mm needles.
At any rate, here is how she is turning out. My favourite designy part of this shawl is that criss-cross pattern up the right side, so pretty.
I finished up my Aquae Tank right on time for the Very Shannon KAL Tops, Tanks & Tees 2014. Check out my picture on the Very Shannon, it is really neat to be a part of all those gorgeous finished summer clothes.
I am basically happy with how my tank turned out, especially considering I re-started this project about six times. The funny thing is that I kept re-starting to address my gauge which was coming out too tight. In the end the fabric stretches so much with wear that I would have been better off knitting it at the tighter gauge.
This was my first experience knitting a garment with 100% cotton, I didn’t know it would stretch out so much. But it is still wearable and I’ve had a few compliments already by the lovely ladies at work! I am surprised at how light the tank is when I wear it, I guess the looser gauge helps with that.
The nice thing about 100% cotton is that I can toss it in the dryer for a bit to get most of the shape back.
Last night I cast on for the Maluka shawl by Bea Schmidt using the Socks That Rock – Awesomesauce yarn I picked up in Toronto. Knitting up the swatch was so much fun, the colours are revealed inch by inch. Here is a sneak peak at all of the beautiful colours.